AREA ARCHEOLOGICA DI CAPOSELE
Porticciolo (Marina) Caposele and Archeological complex with sites from the 1st century A.D. in Formia.
This area takes its name by the villa, owned by Caposele’s princes and by Rubino family living there.
This Porticciolo (pear) image
gives us an idea of how the harbour was like when the entire property was purchased by Ferdinand, King of the Two Sicilies‘ Kingdom.
All the property, with all the natural harbour and the archeological area recently restored, belonged to the only heir of Carlo Ligny, prince of Caposele, who inherited it at the end of 1700 from the last Duke of Marzano’s family, direct descendant and only heir of all the property of the families of Laudato and Marzano.
The possession of the entire area seems to date back at the second half of 1500.
In Saint Erasmo’s Church is preserved a funerary epigraphy of 1698 belonging to the two families.
On the passage of property to Ferdinand II, Salvatore Ciccone writes down:
“…the villa, expropriated from the daughter of the prince, marquise Olimpia de Mari, was put up for auction in May 1852 and purchased by Ferdinand II”.
All the executed masonry following the roman “reticulated opus” , the structures of the pier and of the Garitta (watchtower) placed in a corner with an excellent position of control of the places, were most likely designed by of the notorious architect of the king, Giacomo Guarinelli.
He was a military architect and Captain of the Genius in the Bourbon army in that period.
As described by Giuseppe Capolino in the 1886, the Garitta was garnished with a railing whose are only visible today the anchoring brackets to the shaped stone walkway.
With obvious functions of external control entrusted to the military guard of the Garitta itself.